A new teacher 一位新老师




🈶 Learning Chinese: What “He Has a New Teacher” Taught Me

As I continue my Chinese learning journey with tools like Duolingo and at the ACCA (Asociación Cultural Chino Argentina), I’m constantly discovering how even simple sentences open the door to deeper understanding of  the Chinese languaje.



Today’s sentence was:

“He has a new teacher.”
Chinese: 他有一位新老师 (Tā yǒu yī wèi xīn lǎoshī)

👉 Let’s break it down:
  • 📌 他 (tā) – he
  • 📌 有 (yǒu) – has or to have
  •  📌一位 (yī wèi) – one (with a polite measure word for people, we can use 个 (gè) )
  • 📌 新 (xīn) – new
  • 📌 老师 (lǎoshī) – teacher 👩‍🦰



👉 What I love about this sentence is how it introduces the concept of measure words. 


📌 In Spanish or in English, we don’t use them for people, but in Chinese, they’re essential. 

📌 Here, 位 (wèi) is a respectful way to refer to a person—perfect for someone like a teacher. I also learned that 个 (gè) is a more casual alternative, and it's used often in spoken Chinese.

✨️ Learning Chinese is more than memorizing vocabulary—it’s about understanding how people express respect, relationships, and even formality. 

📌  This sentence, though simple, reminded me that language learning is also culture learning.

✨ Stay tuned as I continue sharing insights and tips from my Mandarin journey. Next up: measure words and when to use them!



✅ Excercises:


------------------------
Really?          I    also read chinese books
真的吗?      我  也  读     中文 书。
Zhēn de ma? Wǒ yě dú zhōngwén shū.

  • 真的吗?Zhēn de ma? = Really?  
  • 我 Wǒ  = I 
  • 也 yě = also
  • 读 dú or 看 (kàn)
  • 中文 zhōngwén  chinese 
  • 书。shū. books

读 dú and 看 (kàn)
Great question! In Chinese, while 读 (dú) means "to read (aloud or silently)," you’re probably thinking of 看 (kàn), which means "to look at" or "to read (visually)." 
-----------------

We all have history class
我们 都有历史课
Wǒmen dōu yǒu lìshǐ kè
  • 我们 Wǒmen = We
  • 都 dōu = all
  • 有历史
  • 课  kè = class
---------------------

  • Wang Ming and I are both students.
  • 王明           和 我   都   是     学生。
  • Wáng míng hé wǒ dōu shì xuéshēng.
    • 王明      Wáng míng 
    • 和 hé = and
    • 我 wǒ = I
    • 都 Dōu = both all
    • 是    shì = are
    • 学生  xuéshēng = students.

都 Dōu both all

---------------------------------

Really? I am also American
真的吗?      我也是美国人
Zhēn de ma? Wǒ yě shì měiguó rén

  • 真的吗?Zhēn de ma? = Really?
  • 我  Wǒ  =  I
  • 也 yě = also
  • 是 shì =  to be
  • 美国人 měiguó rén

--------------------------------

  • Li Tianmein and I are both Chinese
  •    李天美     和 我 都  是   中国人
  • Lǐ tiān  měi hé wǒ dōu shì zhōngguó rén
    • 李天美 Lǐ tiān  měi
    • 和  =hé
    • 我 wǒ = are
    • 都是 dōu shì = both
    • 都  dōu = all
    • 是  shì = are   
    • 中国人 zhōngguó rén = Chinese

----------------------------------
We all like music class
我们 都 喜欢 音乐 课
Wǒmen dōu xǐhuān yīnyuè kè

  • 我们 Wǒmen = We 
  • 都 dōu = all
  • 喜欢 xǐhuān = like
  • 音乐 yīnyuè = 音乐
  • 课 kè  = class
----------------------------------
Wang ming and I are are both students
王明           和 我 都是学生
Wáng míng hé wǒ dōu shì xuéshēng

  • 王明   Wáng míng 
  • 和 hé = and
  • 我 wǒ = are
  • 都 dōu = all
  • 是 shì =  to be
  • 学生 xuéshēng = tudents
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Really? we all have music class
真的吗?我们都有音乐课
Zhēn de ma? Wǒmen dōu yǒu yīnyuè kè
  • 真的吗? Zhēn de ma? 
  • 我们 Wǒmen 
  • 都 dōu = all
  • 有 yǒu = have
  • 音乐 yīnyuè = music
  • 课  kè = class
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Today Wang ming has history class
今天王明有历史课
Jīntiān wáng míng yǒu lìshǐ kè
  • 今天 Jīntiān  = Today 
  • 王明 Wang ming
  • 有  yǒu = have
  • 历史 lìshǐ = history 
  • 课  kè = class

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

  • 我们都有数学课。 
  • Wǒmen dōu yǒu shùxué kè. 
  • We both have math class. 
    • 我们 Wǒmen  = We
    • 都 dōu = both
    • 有 yǒu  = have
    • 数学 shùxué  = math 
    • 课 kè = class
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
  •  王明和我 都 是 学生。 
  • Wáng míng hé wǒ dū shì xuéshēng. 
  • Ming Wang and I both are students.
    • 王明
    • 和 hé = and
    • 我 wǒ = I
    •  都 dōu = both
    •  是  shì =  to be
    • 学生。xuéshēng.  = students

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toilet in China 洗手间 ( xĭshŏujiān ) bathroom

🍽️ Different Eating Styles | 吃饭的方式

Traditional Chinese Medicine 中药 Zhōngyào Medicine 药品 Yàopǐn